Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Apricot Balsamic Chicken

I made this tonight and we (Kathryn's family) all loved it. I got the idea from a recipe online but changed to my liking. It was a quick meal with lots of flavor. The Montreal Chicken seasoning and the hint of rosemary is what made it so good to me. And of course, I love balsamic vinegar.

2 Tbs olive oil
2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken
(I used chicken breast and filleted them and cut them in half so they cook faster)
Salt and pepper
Montreal Chicken seasoning
rosemary leaves, chopped
1/2 cup of apricot jam
scant 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup chicken stock (I used bouillon & water)
onion powder to taste

In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
Season the chicken with salt, pepper and Montreal Chicken seasoning. When the oil is hot and ripples, add the chicken and brown 5 minutes, then turn and sprinkle with rosemary to your liking (I only did just a little for my family). Cook until the chicken is tender and cooked through, about 5 minutes more.
In small bowl, stir together the jam, vinegar, stock, and onion powder. Pour over chicken. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. I used homemade a light apricot jam, so it just a hint of sweet. You can use orange marmalade also.
Serve with rice or mashed potatoes. I served it with rice flavored with chicken bouillon, steamed asparagus, and green salad. Yummy!

No comments: